A *Discount* for multiple book orders !!Get a Quote ...
Melvyn Thompson's grandfather came to Kidderminster from Stourbridge to be trained as one of the first tram motormen [drivers]. He was extensively photographed as the driver on the open-sided "toast-rack" tram No.11 (pictured below).
The book was first compiled in 1998 to commemorate the centenary of the first tram coming into service on 25th May 1898. It is packed with over 30 photographs, illustrations, route maps and a time table.
The single track tramway started on the outskirts of Kidderminster at Somerleyton Avenue. Travelling past the railway station it made its way into the town centre and the terminus near the Town Hall. Retracing the track a short way it branched into Bridge Street and New Road before passing the Depot.
The Tram Depot was situated near the river and the canal and it was there that the electricity was generated from coal fired boilers. The track continued down New Road and past Brinton Park before the open road. Travelling through Stourport the trams descended High Street to the terminus near the bridge.